Sunday, October 5, 2008

The day I screwed up :D!!!

For those who don't know, Onam is a state festival of Kerala. It is what Christmas is for the people in the West and Diwali is to the North Indians. In IITB, we have a mallu ( people from Kerala are generally referred to as mallus ) association called MCA (Malayalee Cultural Association). Though Onam this year was around 2nd week of September, due to the ongoing
examinations and other logistical problems, it was shifted to 1st week of October in IITB.

As a part of this some of us, including me, were asked to do some programs. So to decide on something, we gathered at Anish's room. Anish, incidentally is my school teacher Vinay Bhai teacher's son :). Since we had not had much time to think upon any new idea , due to our hectic studies schedule, we decided to do a comedy dance which Anish and his friends had already done in college. The theme was a funny dance sequence involving all the leading malayalam film stars.
He showed us that video. Man it was such a hilarious video, not because of the script as such, but due to the exceptional talents of the guys who did that dance. But now the question that arose was whether we bunch of guys, who have never done such a thing in our whole life can match what was done in the video.

But then our main aim was to present something, irrespective of whether it comes right or not. So we decided to go about it. Initially it was just 3-4 of us. The plan was to meet every night from around 10-12 for practice. But after 2 days, I felt I was not a good fit and was in a way spoiling the entire show though I didn't tell anyone that I felt so. There was also a secondary
reason that I was feeling too lazy to go for the dance practice from 10-12 in the night :D. But I too wanted to contribute something. So I put forward a suggestion. I would write a script and then 3-4 people can perform a skit. I felt I could come up with a decent script though my acting skills were a big question mark. By this way, we could also add an extra program
for the onam day celebrations :).

So it was decided that we will have a skit and a comedy dance. But being the lazy guy that I am, I kept postponing writing the script till the last day :D. Two days before the D-day, I got a phone call on my mobile.

Me : Hello, who is this

From the other end of the call came the reply, Hi this is Praful. I am in the coordination committee of the MCA.

Me : (in my mind) Trouble!!!

Praful : So is the script done.

Me : Err...hmm...cough...cough....isn't it a wonderful morning today

Praful : What..hmm yeah but what about the script

Me : O yeah the script...hmm...err...hmm..aahhh...errr...O yeah O yeah the script right...it truly is a wonderful morning right

Praful : #@$#^&$%#@ scripttttttttttttttt

Me : "O yeah the script is done no worries everything is taken care of ".... and I kept looking helplessly at the blank sheet of papers on which I meant to write the skit.

Praful : O gr8. Then we will meet on that day.

Me : (in my mind) Should we?

And then the D-Day arrived. In the morning, we had some games like musical chair( a very
tough game to play ) and tug-of-war. In the afternoon, we had the special lunch which is called the onam sadhya. It was such a heavenly feeling to have eaten it after 2 months of torture in our hostel mess. Anyone who might have observed my eating would have thought that I may not have eaten for the last 1 month ( though a weighing machine would have given a conflicting answer). After the lunch, everyone returned to their rooms. The cultural programs were scheduled for 6:30 pm.

After returning to my room, with all the brain power I could muster, I somehow finished the script By 5:50 pm :D. Though there were around 5 characters in the play, I had no choice other than play all of them myself since there was no time to call anyone and tell them what to do.. And the 1st rehearsel would be the actual play ;). Soon the programs started and within half an hour the announcement came....please welcome Sree Shankar & party to the stage. I was like "Oyee what party, even I didn't know there was a party". As soon as I entered the stage I applied for an anticipatory bail..."Since this is the first time I am presenting such a show, please bear with me if it is boring"

With this I started my skit. I introduced the opening scene to the audience and delivered the 1st 2 lines. Then bang!!!!!!!!!! nothing was coming to my mind...blank.......I kept quiet for 2 minutes on the stage...then started mumbling something to myself...then unknowingly turned to the audience and said "So what were the lines"...and even before I realised my mistake, the audience were laughing. I decided to gobble up the lines I forgot and continued with the remaining plot.
Even after 2-3 minutes of play no response from the audience. I increased the momentum. No use. Tried to increase the momentum more. Maybe it was due to the law of physics, but the momentum got too much and I started getting confused as to which character should be delivering which dialogue. In the end I was as confused as to what the play was as much as the audience. And by the time it ended, everyone woke up from their sleep :D.

And thus I realised one thing. It's not a very easy thing to make mallus laugh, especially without any preparations. But then when I think of that situation now, I start laughing. This will be one onam which I won't forget in a hurry.But the best part of the day was that the dance by Anish and others were a huge hit. It was really a credible performance considering the short preparation time, and the relative inexperience of the team members. All in all a great day for me which I will remember for a long time.



7 comments:

GingerTea said...

pakshe njan kettath "sree shankar nde vaka oru vann skit undayirunnu" ennanallo :-?

sree said...

uthiyathaana :P

kmathew said...

da pinne mca council members ninne perumariya kaaryam entha ezhuthathathu.
ennittu njangal ellarum koode ninne IIT hospital il aakiya kaaryavum ezhuthiyilla

GingerTea said...

appo manassilayi alle ... :D

sree said...

eda kukri, ninakku nan vachitondada
edi meenu, ninakkum nan vachitondu

Roshini said...

Angane athum kulamaakki, happy aayi :P

sree said...

ithoru onnu onnara kolam ayirunnu mole ;)