Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My quest for food

Most of our lives we keep running after money. But sometimes experience shows us that money can't buy everything. There will be occasions when it won't be worth the paper it is printed on. Well I had once such experience today.

The summer vacations are on in IITB. All the students have returned home for two and a half months vacations. Well almost all. The Mtech guys have no such good fortune. Apart from some 10-15 days, we have to continue to stay in the campus and "work" on our Mtech project. O hell yeah work we certainly do. We work on "LOST", we work on "FRIENDS" and most importantly we work on our thesis "How to sleep beyond 12 hours". Since most of the students are not in campus, almost all the hostel messes have been closed for vacation. Out of the very few open hostel messes, I have my food at H12 mess. There we can take a 15 day card for Rs 825.

As usual I got up today morning at 9 am. I then washed my face, brushed my teeth, put on a shirt and was about to go to H12 when I remembered

"O crap, my food card had expired yesterday"

Luckily I had the required amount in my wallet to make another card. So, making my pocket heavier with Rs 825 cash, I made my way to H12 mess. Somehow my stomach was grumbling more than usual (Well usually it grumbles like anything). The smell of the food just made the grumbling worse. I had to look down to my stomach and give it a reassuring look

"Dude hold on for a few more moments, food is on it's way"

I went to the counter, took out the money and stretched it out to the counter guy (CG). The counter guy looked at me and said "What"

Me : "Card"

CG : "Come at 12-12:30"

Me : "Why not now"

CG : "Time is up"

O great.

Me : "Fine atleast give me a Rs 20 coupon for the breakfast"

CG : "Time is up"

Me : "What!!! I am asking for coupon, and not card"

CG : "Time is up"

Man what a horrible way to start the day. Stomach grumbles even more. Fine, I guess I have to go to H7 mess. On reaching H7 mess, I eagerly looked into the food containers.

EMPTY!!!.

I guess I have to do with just tea today. I walked to the tea vessel and opened the tap at the bottom

FIZZZZZZZZZ.....just air comes out

O damn it.

I decide to buy something from H7 canteen

(PS: Canteen is different from mess)

I walk to the H7 canteen.

LOCKED!!!

Man, why aren't shops open when people need food the most. I stood their pondering over my options.

Fruit juice shop....naa low probability of opening.
CCD.....naa too far away.
H6 Canteen....nopes, will open only at 2 pm.
How about skipping the breakfast....GRRRR...the grumble from below reaches a crescendo.

So there I was standing, with around around 800 rupees in my pocket, and yet unable to get something to eat. By this time sounds started coming out, literally, from my stomach and passers-by looking at me suspiciously trying to see from where the sounds were coming. I made my way back to my room. Well I guess it was a good learning experience, though some grunting noise from below tells me that not all parts of my body agree with me.



3 comments:

Archana said...

Don't you have thattukada there outside the campus? or for that matter any local restaurant...? :P

The_Bandicoot said...

It's 5:30 am and I haven't slept all night. I blame you, Sree, for your excellent & witty posts. Your quest for food failed and with it and others similar posts, my quest for sleep also failed. Now it's light outside and I feel like watching a movie. Humph! Keep up the good work :P.

sree said...

@Archana
Well if u r ready to walk 2 kms and go outside the campus, then fine...but don't count me in for that journey :P

@Bandicoot
Thx u :)