Friday, August 8, 2008

Hi from IIT Bombay

So here goes my first blog.

It's been almost 3 weeks in IIT Bombay and thought maybe this is a good time for me to start a blog.Hence this post. I joined IITB for the MTech programme in Computer science. Before this I was working in Infosys for almost 3 years.

I cannot express enough how refreshingly different it is to be back in college, and that too in one of the best colleges in the country, after 3 yrs in the corporate and I am enjoying every bit of it.

I reached IITB on july 15th 2008.My first thoughts when I first stepped inside IITB campus was "WOOOOOW"...The campus is soo refreshingly in sync with nature that it provides a dark contrast with the world outside the campus.In fact during my whole journey from the railway station to the campus on the day I arrived in mumbai, I was covering my nose due to the dust and pollution. But once inside campus I was just transported into another world altogether


I reached the hostel allocated to me at around 8:30 pm. After completing the formalities the hostel warden gave me the key to my room. As I was walking towards my room,I started dreaming of all kind of luxurious the room will contain (this was my first shot at hostel life :D). I reached my room, stood in front of the closed door for a second,smiled,put in the key,turned the key and gave it a gentle push revealing.........a 5 metre * 5 metre square box.....whoaa now wait a second, I thought I was supposed to get a room to stay, not a tiffin box...all my dreams about the "suite" came crashing down like a pile of cards. Thus started my stint in IITB.

The next 2 days were the (boring) orientation programmes...Well I don't know whether it was exactly boring..since I was sleeping the whole time...But the best part came towards the fag end of the 2nd day...it was time for interaction with the seniors where we introduced ourselves and needed to do some performance like singing,dancing,mimicry or whatever came to your mind (well some ppl did exactly what came to their mind and don't ask me what it was since the oxford dictionary has yet to come up with a word for describing them).Here for first time I saw almost all of my 100+ classmates (whew)

After 3 days I got a roomie...and even though the room was meant for a single guy (or rather a half guy) first years are forced to share rooms since the number of hostels were inadequate.

From the next week onwards the classes started. We are supposed to take 4 courses for the first semester out of around 10 (or more??ah no idea) Inorder to help ourselves with the course selection, we could sit for all the courses for 2 weeks and then decide. Thus for 2 weeks from 8:30 am - 6:30 pm,I was in classes attending lectures :(..

Now finally after 2 weeks,I have somehow managed to choose my courses. The worst part of attending the classes is the 1.5 hr duration during the after classes. Try as I may, I can't stay with my eyes open after 1 hr of lercture. But I guess i have to manage it. Let's see.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

keep posting shankara ... good tat u decided to blog ... now i ve a one stop read for all IITM news :)

sree said...

will keep doing so ma'm :D..just a small correction..it's IITB...not IITM :D

Unknown said...

that is sad :P they are yet to realise bombay is now mumbai eh.

Admin said...

Cool Dude...Keep inking. i beleive u r jobless now a days :)
Waiting more from you...

sree said...

@rs
na it's not abt forgetting...they know old is gold...even for a name ;)

sree said...

@thowfeek,
thx buddy..and it's not being jobless..it's called time management ;)

Vinish said...

Cool dude .. i loved reading it..

sree said...

happy to hear tat :)